Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My True Story - Donation Could Have Made the Difference

I have vague recollections of my great grandfather James as good humored and creative; he and my great grandmother, Miriam, and they would often fancy themselves to write and memorize poems to recite for their children and grandchildren. I saw many of these with my great grandmother and starred as the sole actor after my great grandfather had passed or on tape once my great grandmother was no longer quite able to recall the words.
Growing up and working on a farm his whole life, Great Grandpa contracted Hepatitis A. Being older and a little suspicious of “new-fangled” technologies, he refused to get any of the shots his doctor recommended. Eventually, this was linked to cancerous polyps that had formed in his large intestine. Of course, he also refused a colonoscopy, so the cancer had already spread to his liver by the time they removed the polyps from his intestine. Ultimately, it wasn’t the Hepatitis A that got him. In 1994, my great grandfather died of liver cancer. He was 78 years old. Many people associate any liver disorder with alcohol. My great grandfather had never consumed a drop of alcohol in his whole life.
Organ donation may have been able to save his life, but the length of the waiting list for organ donations is often too long for patients to overcome – especially older patients with pressing needs. That’s why it’s so important for people who are willing to donate step-up and make their wishes known.


If you’re willing to do it...Do It Now!

Written by Natalyn Giverson

No comments: